More than 10,000 people flocked to the Lubbock Civic Center for the 61st annual Lions Club Pancake Festival on Saturday, where around 40,000 pancakes were served to hungry citizens.

Kelly Zuber, a Lions Club member and co-chairman of the festival, said the fundraiser event still has its 2009 world record for most pancakes served in eight hours.

Eight hundred to 900 people volunteered to help work and coordinate the event, and took one of three different shifts throughout the day, Zuber said.

Texas Tech fraternities and sororities were among the volunteers, he said, which also included Boy Scout troops, a journalism group from Coronado and Lubbock citizens, filling positions such as pancake flippers, sausage cookers, table organizers and table attendants.

Austin Davis, a junior electronic media and communications major from Dallas, said he heard about pancake festivals in his hometown, but never went to one until this year when he volunteered for his service fraternity, Delta Alpha Omega.

“We were just helping out passing out pancakes and sausage, you know, cleaning up,” he said, “stuff like that — community service.”

David Samaniego, a Delta Alpha Omega fraternity member and a senior community, family and addiction services major from San Antonio, said he and Davis worked four hour shifts while others from his fraternity volunteered up to nine hours.

“We have to do a mandatory 30 (hours) per semester,” he said, “so we knocked out a quick four today.”

Between 16,000 and 18,000 people attend the event each year, Zuber said, paying $6 a ticket and collectively spending close to $100,000. The money the Lions Club makes goes to the 30 to 35 charities they raise funds for, he said.

“This event has raised close to $100,000,” he said, “so that’s what we’re hoping for this year. We actually put it back in the community with the various charities and communities that we benefit.”

Some of the charities they support include American Red Cross, the Boys & Girls Club of Lubbock, the South Plains Food Bank, and Habitat for Humanity, according to the Lions Club website.

The event is a coordination effort, Zuber said, requiring months of planning.

“There’s about 40 to 50 committees that we put together,” he said, “and we start about in November, kind of coordinating and getting everything together. It’s a four-month process to make sure we order enough stuff and get everything together for this day.”

The Lions Club puts on three fundraising events a year, Zuber said, the pancake festival being the largest one of all.