Committee selects Student Media Department editors - The Daily Toreador: News

Committee selects Student Media Department editors

Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:38 pm | Updated: 11:58 am, Wed Mar 6, 2013.

Candidates for editors-in-chief of The Daily Toreador and La Ventana were interviewed Tuesday night in front of a 15-member committee.

The committee that was made up of faculty and students decided which people would best fit each position.

Kassidy Ketron, a junior public relations major from Seminole, was elected as the editor-in-chief of The Daily Toreador for the 2013-2014 school year.

Ketron said she is looking forward to the next school and has many changes in mind.

“We’re going to do a re-design of the paper,” she said. “We’re going to start this summer and then have it ready for the first issue in the fall.”

Ketron, who has served as the editor’s apprentice, a news writer, La Vida editor, summer editor-in-chief, news editor and now as managing editor, said her experience helps her relate to staff members.

“I’ve worked at almost every position,” she said. “I think that helps me relate to the people on staff, and I plan to use that to my advantage.”

The newspaper never takes much of an extended break.

Catherine McKee, a junior journalism major from Seminole, was chosen as the summer editor-in-chief of the 88-year-old newspaper.

“I really want the newspaper to appeal to students more,” she said. “I want students to pick up the paper because there’s something on the front page that attracts them that they want to read.”

The current news editor for The Daily Toreador said her understanding of newsworthiness and the Texas Tech community will help her in the summer position.

Kymbre Kupatt, a freshman agricultural communications major from Sagerton, said she applied for editor-in-chief to try something out of her comfort zone.

The student life section editor said she plans to bring teamwork to the yearbook.

“It sounds silly, but I want to bring teamwork,” she said. “I want everyone to feel like they’re comfortable with each other. I want everyone to know everything they need to. I want everyone to feel like they’re in the loop.”

Even though one person applied for each position, Lynn Whitfield, committee chairperson, said they were all qualified.

“In the past, they have actually had only one candidate and still not accepted that person, so it is possible,” she said.

Whitfield, university archivist, said she was most impressed with the candidates’ grades.

“They’re doing really great academically,” she said, “and then to be able to do all this additional activity on top of that and maintain those grades, I think is quite impressive.”

Whitfield said she and other committee members looked for candidates who showed enthusiasm, had ideas for the future, understood the industry and who were well spoken.

ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts