Texas Tech School of Law professor Gerry Beyer recently was elected into the most prestigious professional organization in the legal profession, the American Law Institute.

According to a press release, the American Law Institute, or ALI, was founded in 1923 by a group of American judges, lawyers and law teachers, and its goal is to advance the state of law to make improvements for the future.

Its membership is selected from judges, lawyers and law teachers in the United States. In order to be elected, one must be nominated by an existing member of ALI, and prove professional achievement and demonstrate interest in improving the law through the years, the press release stated.

Interim Dean of Texas Tech School of Law Susan Fortney said its membership is designed to “select the individuals with the best legal minds”.

The 4,300 members of ALI draft, discuss, revise and publish restatements of the law, model statutes and principles of law that are enormously influential in the courts and legislatures, as well as legal scholarship and education, Beyer said.

Beyer, Governor Preston E. Smith Regents Professor of Law specializing in estate planning, joined the Tech faculty in 2005.

The area of law he specializes in is wills, trust and estate planning, he said, but also he teaches first year property classes and commercial law.

“I’m very honored to join an elite group of practitioners, academics and judges that are members,” he said. “This will enable me to participate in activities with regard to law development and law reform that I would have otherwise not had the opportunity to engage in.”

Ian van Reenen, a second-year law student from Amarillo, describes Beyer as engaging and outgoing.

“We’re lucky to have him as a professor here at the Texas Tech School of Law,” van Reenen said.

Tech’s law school already has a high proportion of faculty members participating in ALI compared to other law schools, Beyer said.

“(My inclusion) will increase our reputation because the more members who engage in activities in the ALI, the greater reputation for the law school and the university in general,” he said.

Fortney said it is important for others to recognize Tech’s “top legal talent” and to have Tech’s leaders participate in the work of the ALI.

Beyer said he plans to participate in various ALI activities and will attend his first ALI meeting in San Francisco this May. He already has signed up to be a consultant to a group working on the development of trust law, he said.

Beyer previously taught at Saint Mary’s University School of Law and has served as a visiting professor at several other law schools including Boston College and LaTrobe University in Melbourne, Australia.

In addition to being elected to the ALI in December, Beyer received the 2010 Chancellor’s Council Distinguished Teaching Award, the highest teaching award at Tech.

OctaviaFreeman

Thanks for sharing this post with us. It is so useful and informative post. I always visit your post to learn something new. You always share interesting facts in your post. by the way I am looking for the best dissertation help I get project from my class teacher and for that, I need the best dissertation help. But I don't know where to find it if you know about it please let me know.

JeffDSprague

I used to read the news in the newspaper but nowadays because of the Corona virus, I am not taking the newspaper. Recently, I was reading the complete guide to getting more guest posting opportunities in 2020 on https://www.digitalhill.com/blog/the-complete-guide-to-getting-more-guest-posting-opportunities-in-2020/ website. And while reading, I have found this website. I am glad I have found this website and now I will visit here every day to read the news because I found out that you post genuine news on your website.

JeffDSprague

Thanks for the post

Best regards

JeffDSprague

JayGBrown

That is really good news that the professor elected to the most prominent legal association. I like to gather useful information online like for lucky nugget casino online. I am so happy I have found this website and from now on I will visit this website again and again.