Law team wins largest moot court competition in nation - The Daily Toreador: News

Law team wins largest moot court competition in nation

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:05 pm

A team of Texas Tech law school students took home the 27th national championship for the School of Law, winning the largest moot court competition in the nation.

Third-year law students Reagan Marble, Ashirvad Parikh and Suzanne Taylor won the American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition after facing off against the South Texas College of Law in the final rounds, said Robert Sherwin, director of the law school’s advocacy program and the team’s coach.

“It was an extremely competitive final round,” he said. “South Texas College of Law has one of the best moot court programs in the country. We feel like they’re our biggest rival. They are always very competitive. They are always very prepared and very polished.”

The team began practicing in November to compete in the March regional competition in Washington, Sherwin said, where the members competed against 40 other teams.

After winning regionals, he said they advanced to the ABA competition, where they went up against 225 teams from 129 law schools, making it the largest moot court competition in the country.

This is the school’s first victory in the ABA competition, Sherwin said, although they have claimed two victories in the nation’s other top competition, the National Moot Court Competition, which is the oldest one of its kind in the country.

“In the last three years, we’ve won the National Moot Court Competition twice,” he said, “and the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition once, just this last week.”

Marble, from Jourdanton, said training three to four times a week for up to two hours at a time was rigorous, but worth it.

“Balancing that with law school is very difficult, but very rewarding,” he said. “It’s nice to be in a court room eight to 10 hours a week and actually practice the skills that they’re teaching us in class.”

During the competition, Marble and his partner, Taylor, argued a civil rights case in front of a panel of seven judges, six of those being federal district judges and one being a circuit court of appeals judge. That in itself was incredible, Marble said, but competing against South Texas was even better.    

“That was easily the pinnacle or the coolest moment of my law school career,” he said. “South Texas College of Law is legendary in the realm of advocacy among law schools. They have 15 of these championships, compared to our four, so they’re undoubtedly a dynasty.”

Marble won the best oral speaker in regionals, and second-best in nationals. His partner, Taylor, also earned top marks, winning the fourth-best oral speaker in the preliminary rounds and third-best oral speaker in nationals.

Parikh, from Kingwood, wrote the team’s brief, which ranked fourth in the nation.

He said he enjoyed practicing with his team, as difficult and interesting as the experience was.

“Going up against South Texas, they were a very good team,” Parikh said. “They were very tough to compete against and I think Reagan and Suzanne just did an amazing job against them.”

What set the team apart from the rest was their ability to be conversational in its arguments, Marble said, which allowed them to provide a strong case both in knowledge and presentation.

“Something that’s so important in moot court is when advocates are able to be conversational,” he said, “and when advocates can have a conversation with the bench rather than lecture, they’re going to succeed. My coach has taught my partner Suzanne Taylor and I to be as conversational as possible, and when you’re likeable and you can carry on a conversation, no matter what you say, juries tend to take that with some heavy weight and tend to find in your favor. So, I think that was ultimately our difference, was our conversational style.”

Sherwin said this was his first victory in the ABA competition, although he had won the two previous victories in the NMCC.

“It means a lot to me because I know how important it was to the students and how important it was to the law school for us to have an advocacy program that the rest of the country looks at and envies,” he said. “It was very, very satisfying to know that for the last three years we’ve had the best, if not one of the three or five best moot court programs in the country.”    

For Parikh, it was a surreal experience, he said.

“My reaction was shock and joy, really,” Parikh said. “I remember I was sitting next to our coach Rob and Suzanne, and for a second there was that two-second pause where you were just like, ‘Woah, did we just win?’”

Marble said he felt a flurry of emotions — excited, stunned, honored and relieved. For him, this experience may be the last he ever has with moot court competitions.

“My partner and I have been partners for two years now,” he said, “for our second and third years in law school, and Robert Sherwin had been our coach for two years. It has been a long and bumpy ride. We haven’t always won, we haven’t always succeeded like we wanted to, but this is our very last competition. And we knew that morning that was the very last time we would set foot in a courtroom all together. So when we won, it was indeed the icing on the cake.”

25 comments:

• paultretior posted at 8:32 am on Wed, Jan 14, 2015.

paultretior Posts: 3
  • patinson posted at 12:39 am on Sat, Dec 13, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

For these students winning such a prestigious competition was really a significant achievement. They are now prepared to become successful professionals, but they should do some specialization later. They could become car accident attorney Manchester area or could also try some other area of specialization.

• clarke posted at 3:57 am on Thu, Dec 11, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

For this young law team winning this challenge was not a cakewalk, but they have managed to win this competition making their school proud. They have plenty of opportunities ahead of them, they could start their career at a law firm or they could work as private detective in New York.

• morris posted at 6:02 am on Wed, Dec 10, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

For the law team this has been a grand victory, they have made their law school proud. They have proven their mettle and now they are ready to have brilliant careers as professional lawyer. They should consider joining a reputed firm like Richard J. Plezia & Associates who offer guidance for issues like SUV rollover accident. You can find this firm online as well at http://www.rickplezia.com/SUV_Rollover.php.

• patinson posted at 5:04 am on Tue, Dec 9, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

Such a prestigious win would motivate them to work even harder in future. The field of law has plenty of opportunities for them, they could work as fathers rights attorney or personal injury lawyers. However, it would be better if they work with a law firm after passing out to gain experience.

• morris posted at 5:27 am on Mon, Dec 8, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

After winning the biggest competition they must be feeling proud and content, they need to work hard to retain their success and keep making their institute proud. They have a bright career ahead of them, they could become workers compensation attorney or also work as criminal defense attorney by joining a prestigious law firm.

• clarke posted at 4:30 am on Thu, Oct 30, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

They must be feeling really proud of their achievement, winning this competition was not a cakewalk but they managed to win it despite facing strong opponents. They do have a bright future ahead of them, they could join a good law firm after they finish their education. They might consider joining a prestigious firm like Law Office of Dianna L. Abdala which is a reputed name in the field of best criminal defense lawyer firms.

• morris posted at 5:14 am on Mon, Oct 27, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

The competition was tough, but the students did prove their mettle on this tough ground and won the final war. This win would encourage them to do better in future, right now the field of law is full of opportunities, they could join a law firm after passing out or could also work at court reporting agencies Denver or in a region of their choice.

• clarke posted at 5:43 am on Fri, Oct 17, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

These law students are indeed talented and they are capable of achieving big success in future as successful lawyers. However, they should choose their field wisely, there is a great demand for skilled lawyers in the field of criminal defense, trademark infringement, they could really do great in such fields.

• morris posted at 3:50 am on Thu, Sep 18, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

This moot court competition has helped these young law students prove their mettle on such a prestigious platform. This was a grand opportunity for them to sharpen their skills, this win would definitely motivate them to perform even better in future. The field of law has plenty of opportunities for them, they could join a law firm or could also join a reputed process server agency that offers subpoena service.

• patinson posted at 3:33 am on Wed, Aug 6, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

Such prestigious competitions would most definitely help these students sharpen their skills. The field of law currently has plenty of career opportunities for them, all they have to do is to choose a good law firm for beginning their career. They could also consider joining a reputed bail bonds company like Express Bail Bonds.

• morris posted at 12:50 am on Tue, Jul 22, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

Winning a prestigious competition like this is certainly a big achievement for the school as well as for these students. All of them are highly talented and they would be able to become successful lawyers in their legal profession. However, they should join some reputed legal consulting services after passing out, it would help them have a better career.

• clarke posted at 4:56 am on Thu, Jul 17, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

I think this victory would inspire the next generation of students as well, they would enter the competition with much more confidence in future. These law students do have a bright future and they would most definitely earn great reputation in their respective fields. We do need skilled lawyers like them who can help us find right solution to our legal complications. A friend of mine few months back got involved in a DUI case and she was able to overcome the complications thanks to her attorney Louis J. Goodman, she found him online at http://www.louisgoodman.com/.

• patinson posted at 5:08 am on Mon, Jun 30, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

These students have great talent and they were given the necessary support from their law school, which is why they have been able to win such a prestigious competition. My friend went to the same law school, after finishing her education she has worked with many reputed law firms like Foran & Foran.

• morris posted at 4:32 am on Thu, Jun 19, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

This is indeed a significant achievement for these young students. They are highly talented and they have the potential to become successful lawyers in their respective fields. Now we have access to good law firms and lawyers who are truly dedicated to their work, if you've been injured in a car accident, you can find law firms that deal with motor accident cases and some of these firms also offer facilities like free initial consultation.

• clarke posted at 3:53 am on Thu, Jun 19, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

Undoubtedly it is a moment of great glory for the Texas Tech law school. I was a student of this school and I am really feeling happy for these students. I passed out from this school many years ago and after that I assisted renowned lawyers. I launched my own firm few years back, although I had to face some financial problems initially, thanks to lawsuit funding program I was able to overcome all those issues.

• patinson posted at 4:28 am on Thu, Jun 12, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

Texas Tech law school must be feeling proud after this prestigious win, their students have really put in great effort to win this tough competition. I am a law student myself, right now I am in my second year and in future I too hope to represent my law school in such competition. After passing out I want to assist reputed lawyers like Fred Wehrwein.

• morris posted at 5:32 am on Tue, Mar 4, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

These students should be congratulated for their success, they truly have the potential to become outstanding lawyers in future. I just finished my law education from a reputed law school, right now I am doing an internship at The Law Offices of James P. Hoffman, we are also available online at http://www.jamesphoffman.com/.

• clarke posted at 7:02 am on Thu, Feb 13, 2014.

clarke Posts: 85

Texas Tech law school team should be congratulated for winning this prestigious competition. The school has exceptionally good programs for the students which is why it is a premier choice for many law students. I was also a student of this school, after passing out from there I did an internship at Talone Law firm, now I have my own law firm.

• patinson posted at 3:35 am on Mon, Jan 6, 2014.

patinson Posts: 90

It is one of the most reputed law schools and a preferred choice of many law students. These days most lawyers are quite tech savvy, my neighbor is a lawyer and she uses Rocket Docket Legal Software to keep her data organized.

• morris posted at 3:21 am on Mon, Jan 6, 2014.

morris Posts: 76

They must be feeling euphoric after this grand win which does catapult the reputation of their law school to an all new high. These students have a bright future and they should consider working with reputed law firms like Conniff Law Offices after passing out.

• clarke posted at 5:01 am on Mon, Dec 30, 2013.

clarke Posts: 85

This law program does help these law students gain an edge over students from other schools. To win a case you need such skilled lawyers who can represent your case in a strong manner. When my neighbor filed his worker's comp case he hired the most reputed GA Workers Comp attorney for his case.

• patinson posted at 1:06 am on Thu, Dec 26, 2013.

patinson Posts: 90

It has really been a colossal achievement for their team and most importantly for their law school. Their law school is a premier destination for talented law students, my brother was a student of this school, he is a successful lawyer now and has the experience of working with big law firms like Nix & Poet.

• clarke posted at 5:03 am on Tue, Dec 24, 2013.

clarke Posts: 85

They must be feeling proud to have won this tough competition. This is one of the most popular law schools in the country, if you really want to study law you need to choose such premier institutes. Just explore the webpage of the law school you are interested in and you will find out every information you need about their programs.

• patinson posted at 3:08 am on Mon, Dec 16, 2013.

patinson Posts: 90

It is a remarkable victory for them no doubt, the winning team had to face a tough competition but they proved their mettle. Such opportunities are great for budding lawyers, I am studying law too and after graduating I hope to work with some renowned law firm like Law Office of Ronald E. Norman, LLC.

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide