IkeBroadwaywtp8.jpg

Two Lubbock SWAT Police officers stand alongside each other as they stand on Broadway to control the crowd of Texas Tech men's basketball fans at 12 a.m. on Sunday, April 7, 2019. The SWAT team was summoned to prevent violent crimes and control pedestrians after riots began during the celebration of Texas Tech's historic advancement to its very first NCAA National Championship.

A few months after rioting on Broadway occurred, the Lubbock Police Department issued arrest warrants for five people connected to the disturbances.

The riot took place on April 6, 2019 in the 2400 block of Broadway after the Texas Tech men's basketball team's win against Michigan State in the NCAA Final Four game, according to a LPD news release. Five people in connection to the incident have been charged with the crime of Riot under the Texas Penal Code today. 

Javier Jurado, Alexander Sotomayor, Fidel Leon, Timothy Ramirez and Cole Saylors were the individuals charged, according to the news release. Jurado, Sotomayor and Saylors were enrolled at Tech the day of the riot.

Jurado and Ramirez, according to the news release, are the only ones who have been taken into custody so far.

The charges may be of a felony classification, according to the news release, as the crime of Riot, which is a Class B misdemeanor that can carry a max penalty of 180 days in jail, a $2,000 fine or both, could carry the same offense classification of a riot participant.