Take Back the Night

The Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance hosted "Take Back the Night," an annual march for survivors of sexual assault at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at Memorial Circle. The event featured guest speakers who talked about their experiences.

At 6:30 p.m. at Memorial Circle, students, faculty and Lubbock locals gathered for the Take Back the Night event hosted by the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance.

After speakers, including Aliza Wong, the dean of the Honors College, introduced the event, participants marched down Broadway, holding posters and chanting about ending sexual assault.

Ali Rogers, a kinesiology senior from Flower Mound, said the purpose of the event was to raise awareness of the issue and garner support within the Tech community.

“It’s about empowering, I guess survivors and really just showing community support of people who are survivors or who are allies of survivors,” she said.

Rogers is a member of the women’s service organization Miller Girls, and she said she heard about the event through the Risk Intervention and Safety Education office.

“We were trying to find more things to be involved in in the semester,” she said.

Take Back the Night holds a special place in Roger’s heart because she has a personal connection with the issue of sexual assault.

“I’m actually a sexual assault survivor myself, and so it was really a big thing for me personally,” she said. “And then we have few girls here who are supporting me and the whole kind of situation.”

Sophia Miller, a sophomore from Liberty Hill majoring in global studies, said the event was interactive and supportive.

“I’m here because of something very close to my heart, and so I just want to show support and inspire others,” she said.

Miller attended the march with a few of her friends and her boyfriend. She said the event was important because it creates a safe community for survivors.

“I think it empowers women and survivors because it shows that they are not alone and that people care and are willing to listen to them and support them through their journey and that they are believed and it's never your fault,” Miller said.

Melina Barboza, a history and political science sophomore from Corpus Christi, said she was attending the event with her sorority friends.

“I heard about this event through my sorority sisters, and we decided that it would be a great event for us to be a part of,” she said

The multicultural sorority, Delta Alpha Sigma, was there to support those who need a platform and support, Barboza said.

“A lot of times people don’t speak up about it, and I feel like it's because they think that there’s no one that they can turn to,” she said.

The gathering and march down Broadway, she said, puts the message of solidarity out there.

“I feel like tonight it shows them that there’s so many people that support them and that even if it happens to you, there is someone that you can turn to,” she said.

Regarding the chants printed on paper for the attendees to follow along with, she said she thought they were empowering and emotional.

“I’m not sure who came up with them but props to whoever did, and I think they’re pretty powerful,” she said.