Students volunteer at Tech or Treat event

Tech or Treat took place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and was located on both the first and second floors of the Student Union Building. Many Texas Tech organizations handed out candy and hosted activities for children to take part in. There were about 2,000 children at the event.  

The Student Union Building was filled with children dressed as monsters, witches, and spooky Halloween creatures on Wednesday evening for the annual Tech or Treat event.

Student organizations filled the halls and ballrooms with balloons, decorations and booths with Halloween activities for the kids and their families. 

One of the organizations was Tau Beta Sigma, The Goin’ Band’s service sorority. 

Sydney Denman, a junior early childhood development major from The Colony, described what activities Tau Beta Sigma’s booth offered children.

“We are setting up a booth where kids can come throw a ball in our pumpkin mouth, and if they get it in, they can get some candy,” she said.

Bethani Hightower, an early childhood development major from Nacogdoches, was with the Women’s Service Organization and gave some information about the booth she was helping with.

“We’re doing a pumpkin stomp, where kids have to pop a pumpkin balloon in our pumpkin patch and they can get candy and prizes,” she said.

Hannah Hughes, a pre-nursing major from North Richland Hills and also a member of the Women’s Service Organization, gave some information on what Tech or Treat is and how it benefits the children of the Lubbock community. 

“It’s basically a safe alternative for families to come and trick or treat without the hazards of neighborhoods and play games,” she said.

Another organization at Tech or Treat was Chi Omega, and Lauren Shanks, a management and marketing major from Amarillo, explained its activity.

“It’s called ‘Pick a Pop,’ and it’s a bunch of suckers in a barrel that kids can pick,” she said. “If the sucker has a dot on the bottom of it, they get a prize. It’s kind of like that rubber ducky game, but that idea was already taken, so we came up with ‘Pick a Pop.’”

Shanks said she liked how Tech or Treat gave kids a safer place to participate in Halloween activities.

“I think it’s a great way to show kids college and integrate them with college students,” she said. “Any chance you can get to do that, I think it’s great. It’s also great that it’s in one place with multiple events so the kids can do a lot of different things. I think it’s great because it’s not on Halloween, so kids can also trick or treat in their own neighborhoods on the actual holiday if they wanted to.”