JCMI Fest

The 2019 JCMIFest was hosted on Tuesday night at the Alamo Drafthouse. Texas Tech students in journalism and creative media industries had the opportunity to showcase their films and video productions at the event. 

JCMIFest is an annual showcase and celebration of audio and video production created by Texas Tech students in journalism and creative media industries.

The festival took place on Tuesday evening at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. 

Kade Willimack, a freshman advertising major from Mason, showcased the documentary he made with two other friends, called "Awakening."

The film revolves around the life of a retired, homeless veteran who has been living in the streets, he said. 

“We felt like we really wanted to make a social justice film; that was kind of the whole point,” he said.

Willimack and his peers were looking at many social justice issues to determine which one they felt they could represent the best, and homelessness came up, he said. They had some connections that led them to some homeless shelters.

“We started looking around, talking to people and listening to their stories; that version of the film is unedited, so it's not the final project,” he said.

Willimack spends a lot of time in the College of Media and Communication building, he said, and upon seeing the posters promoting JCMIFest, he and his friends thought, "we might as well submit a film, why not."

It took him and his friends about a month to complete the film, he said. 

Willimack was in charge of the lighting, sound and other technical tasks, he said. He is also co-director of the documentary. Finding the time and effort to create the film had to be the most challenging part of the whole process, he said. 

Seeing his work on the screen has been his favorite part of the festival, he said.

Willimack’s film won the best video, audience choice award at the festival. The film will be automatically entered into 2019 Flatland Film Festival Shorts Program.

Anwen Pope, a junior creative media industries major from Austin, showcased two of her films at the festival. 

One of them, titled "Texas Snow," was a documentary about cotton farmers in the the South Plains area

Pope's other film, "Everyone Enjoys a Rainbow," was about the adventure media class she took last year, and about how social media works with adventure media in the real world.

Pope did cinemetaphorgy and editing on both her films. 

“I participated in JCMIFest last year, so I decided to do it again this year,” she said.

Her favorite part of the festival has been learning new things, she said.

“Especially with a documentary, I was going into a subject I didn't necessarily know about, but I learned more about it through making a film,” she said.

"Texas Snow" won the best video, judges choice, award at the festival.

Rusty Griffin, creative director and partner at GriffinWink Advertising, participated as one of the judges at the festival. 

“I attended the festival last year, and this year I was invited to be a judge,” he said.

While judging the films, Griffin looks for criteria such as a story being told, and the film having a beginning, middle and end, he said.

Griffin’s favorite part was the attendance, he said.

“They had to turn five people away, so for a small festival like this, I thought that was really impressive," he said.