Non-Profit Job Fair

Nonprofit organizations from Lubbock attended the Nonprofit Job Fair at the Student Union Building on Wednesday, April 10, 2019. Students who are interested in acquiring practicum experience, internships or even full-time employment in a non-profit organization had the opportunity to talk with representatives and obtain valuable information about various organizations.

Internships, experience and even full-time job opportunities were all presented to Texas Tech students at the Spring 2019 Nonprofit Job Fair.

Over 30 nonprofit organizations were set up in the Student Union Building on Tuesday afternoon, such as the American Red Cross, CASA of the South Plains, Lubbock Area United Way and more.

According to Tech’s University Career Center website, students interested in acquiring practicum experience, internships or even full-time employment in a nonprofit organization had the opportunity to talk with representatives and obtain valuable information about various organizations.

Heather Mahan, the human resources officer training coordinator for the Texas Boys Ranch, attended the job fair to represent the organization.

“Texas Boys Ranch is an agency that works primarily with children that have been removed from the care of their parents or caregivers due to child abuse or neglect,” Mahan said.

The faith-based organization has three programs, she said. There is a campus program with four cottages that function like a cottage home or a normal home would, with house parents serving as the caregivers for children there.

The Texas Boys Ranch also has an emergency shelter which is a 90-day shelter, along with a foster care program.

“We have several different programs that students here can get involved in such as 'Homework Helpers,' working in the cottages and doing meal preparations, or they can work in a shelter to help with different activities,” she said.

Several students were at her booth applying for positions, she said.

“We’re always in need of direct care staff to work with our kids on a regular basis,” Mahan said, “They can also sign up for volunteer opportunities and even volunteer as a group to have a play date with the kids.”

Tracey Benefield, communications and public relations director for Atheist Community of Lubbock, represented the organization at the job fair.

“The organization basically provides a community of support for people who are non-religious,” she said. “We do a lot of different things including feeding the homeless and clothing drives.”

The community advocates for equal rights, which includes LGBTQ rights, because she said religion is often used to discriminate against LGBTQ communities.

“We advocate for the separation of church and state; anybody that is experiencing discrimination in their workplace or at school, due to not having a religion, can get help from us in terms of getting connected with resources and helping them fight that battle,” she said.

The organization also provides things such as secular AA, to help people who are non-religious who have addiction problems, she said.

The Atheist Community of Lubbock has open positions in which students were signing up for, such as a social media interns, special events coordinator, bookkeeping and grant writers.

Paulina Noyola, a senior psychology major from Lubbock, attended the Nonprofit Job Fair in hopes of finding an internship or job after graduating in either August or December.

“I heard about this event through the TechAnnounce email, and I happened to be looking for a job or internship, so I decided to check it out,” she said.

It was helpful to have this job fair instead of searching far and wide for an opportunity, she said.

Although a lot of the organizations pertained to volunteer work, she said she applied for a few jobs and positions available to her.