The few students and advisers in the classroom stood to face the American flag in front of them, only instead of speaking the Pledge of Allegiance, they complete the pledge in sign language. This is the start to a regular meeting for the Tech Lions Club, a newly formed service organization on the Texas Tech campus.

“We are fairly new because we are just now starting to get chartered,” Michaela Glendening, a sophomore business marketing major from Little River and vice president of TLC, said.

Although fairly new, TLC has wasted no time in starting to do good in the community, she said, from learning sign language to adopting a highway to help keep Lubbock beautiful.

“We have a two-mile stretch in Lubbock and we actually went this Saturday to go do a cleanup,” Glendening said. “We’ll be doing that six times a year.”

TLC also works closely with its parent organization, Lubbock Lions Club, she said, especially when it comes to the annual Pancake Festival.

“My club (Lubbock Lions Club) puts on the Pancake Festival every year, and so this year we had the Tech Lions Club come over to help with that event,” Clifford Fedler, professor in the Civil, Environmental and Construction department in the Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering and adviser of TLC, said.

TLC worked with the Lubbock Lions Club to make this year’s Pancake Festival a real success, he said, and the members are working to make a positive impact in the community.

“It was just fascinating to see what those kids were doing,” Fedler said. “The comments I received from not only my own Lions Club, who praised the members of this organization (TLC), but also the people in the community.”  

The members of TLC are dedicated to helping not only the local community, but also the global one, Elizabeth Eckert, a freshman physics major from Floresville and secretary/treasurer of TLC, said.

“I want to do whatever I can to help my community,” she said. “I want to help people however I best can, and Lions Club, that’s the whole purpose of the organization.”

People who want to be a part of Lions Club can do so at any level through the high school Leo Club, the college level Lions Club or the professional level with Lions International, Fedler said.

“We do a lot for not just within our own community,” he said, “but for around the state and we do international.”

Lions Club has been a worldwide organization for change since 1917, according to its website, and it has a legacy of volunteering in the community and growing as an organization.

Students interested in joining TLC can email the organization at techlionsclub@gmail.com or attend a meeting, which are hosted at 5:30 p.m. every Thursday in the Civil Engineering building room 211.

“We want people from all ages, races and genders,” Eckert said. “I don’t care who you are or what you are, if you want to help other people and are going to be dedicated to this cause, then come on in because we want you.”

Taj Curley

Clubs are just for the sake of the bad things and they are just spoiling the people. I took the the best essays help services when I was in inter and I am taking it still. They are allowing the things that people do not like to do at their homes so they do these out of the homes.