No Shame Theatre

The Script Raiders hosted No Shame Theatre at 11 p.m. on Friday, May 3, 2019 at the Charles E. Maedgen Jr. Theatre. The event offered students a chance to perform in an unscripted, open mic space. 

The Texas Tech Script Raiders hosted their final No Shame Theatre event of the semester on Friday, May 3, in the Charles E. Maedgen Jr. Theatre.

Students, faculty and staff had the opportunity to interact with performers and perform themselves.

The event featured a wide range of performers and talents including stand up comics, magic tricks, singing, poetry, spoken word and even a Q&A-like performance.

The event had three rules: the work must be five minutes or less, the work must be original and performers cannot break anything, including the law. Performers signed up 15 minutes before the event and were limited to five minutes each to perform.

Shane Strawbridge, an interdisciplinary arts Ph.D. student from Lone Star, acted as the event’s host and performed a humorous magic trick for the audience.

No Shame Theatre is a popular event done around the country, he said, and the Script Raiders' decision to introduce it to Tech this school year presented an “open mic,” unscripted space for theatre students as well as the Tech community.

“We thought it was a good opportunity to expand No Shame and give it another location to give the students another opportunity to perform their work in front of an audience that would not judge them,” he said. 

Taylor Sines, a senior theatre and English major from Lubbock, and Chloe Pope, a junior theatre major from Lubbock, attended the event together and said they performed a piece called ”Questions," which featured the duo sitting on stage answering questions from the audience.

Sines said she had been attending the event since its start earlier last year and has been to almost every show. 

“It’s just really fun because you get to see everybody do work that they might not get the chance to do elsewhere," she said, "and it's just a time for everybody to be kind of vulnerable and knowing that you’re in a safe enough space, which is cool."

Pope also echoed Sines' reasoning on attending the event and spoke specifically about the freedom the event gives to performers.

“I just think it’s fun because you can virtually do anything, aside from the three rules," she said."If you come up with something on the spot or you’ve had something prepared forever, you could do anything and express yourself that way."

The event’s welcoming, informal atmosphere has a large impact on performers, creatives and the Tech community, Strawbridge said.

“It’s a low stakes environment where both people who are already familiar with theatre and new to theatre can come and dip their toe in the water," he said. "You can come and just present stuff without worrying that you’re going to get ‘booed’ off the stage or that people are going to judge you for who you are.”