This Wednesday through Sunday the Kappa Delta sorority is hosting a See-Saw-Athon to raise money toward helping stop child abuse across West Texas.

“The See-Saw-Athon is where we sit out in front of the South Plains Mall with a wooden seesaw, about 10 to 12 feet long,” Kayla Wang, a junior community family and addictive services major from Dallas, said. “We ask people for donations and they buy raffle tickets for some really cool prizes.”

Children can ride the seesaw for a small donation. The focus is to make it fun for children while bringing attention to Lubbock’s high abuse rate, Wang said.

Since 1984, Kappa Delta collegiate and alumni chapters have held Shamrock events to support the prevention of child abuse, according to the Kappa Delta website.

The See-Saw-Athon is considered a Shamrock event because it is a local fundraiser hosted by the Kappa Delta sorority, Wang said.

“We call it a Shamrock, and for this Shamrock we have a committee that I’m on,” she said. “We’ve had the same seesaw for a while, but our job is to fix it and get it ready to be ridden.”

The committee goes out to different businesses around Lubbock and asks for donations, and each member is expected to raise money for the fundraiser as well, Wang said.

Every member of the sorority is tasked with working four-hour shifts to fix the seesaw, as well as raise at least $80 each in raffle tickets and donations, Wang said.

“The main reason we do these types of events is to raise money to prevent child abuse,” Hannah Herring, a junior exercise and sport sciences major from Snyder, said. “That is one important issue that we always keep in mind.”

Twenty percent of the proceeds go to the Prevent Child Abuse America national branch, and 80 percent stays in the community going to the Children’s Advocacy Center in Lubbock, Wang said.

The main focus of this event is to keep the people of Lubbock aware of the high child abuse rates across the community, and do their best to prevent this abuse.

“Lubbock has the highest percentage of child abuse in Texas,” Herring said. “The campaign is to build confidence in children.”

Nationwide the campaign efforts of all Kappa Delta Sororities brings about $1.5 million to the prevention of child abuse, according to the website. The longstanding tradition brings major attention to their cause.

“The philanthropies are national, and the See-Saw-Athon has been going on since Kappa Delta was founded on the Tech campus,” Wang said. “It’s just been a tradition ever since then.”

Along with the See-Saw-Athon, the sorority helps local Girl Scout troops sell cookies, Wang said. These efforts help further involve them in the community.

The event is scheduled to take place Wednesday, Feb. 25, to Sunday, March 1, at the South Plains Mall. Everyone is welcome to join, donate and partake in the events of the day, Wang said.

“Child abuse shatters loads of confidence in children, and that is the worst thing that can happen to a child,” Herring said. “This is a terrible thing that can impact a child in a lot of ways, and we are aiming to prevent that.”