Take Back The Night

Marchers holding signs against sexual assault are illuminated by University Police blocking traffic during the Take Back The Night march on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at Memorial Circle. The event included opening speeches by leading student activists, followed by a march down Broadway and concluded with a "Speak-Out" portion which allowed survivors to tell their stories.

Texas Tech Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance will host Take Back the Night 2019 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 24, at Memorial Circle.

The march seeks to educate the Tech and Lubbock community on sexual violence and give survivors of assault a space to share their stories, according to the release.

The event will begin with a poster-making session for attendees and a vigil in which survivors of sexual assault will have the opportunity to speak, according to the release. Following the vigil, the march will begin at Memorial Circle and travel down Broadway to Avenue X before returning to Memorial Circle. 

The Clothesline Project, which helps to visualize incest, domestic violence and sexual violence statistics, will also be included at the event, according to the release. Attendees will have the opportunity to decorate an item of clothing and add it to the display.  

“This student-led event is our battle cry as survivors and advocates, and we hope both students and administrators make the decision to stand with us and take action to stop sexual violence,” Taryn Rayburn, president of Tech FMLA, said in the press release. “Our students have a right to both a safe environment and a zero-tolerance policy for sexual violence at our university. We, as Red Raiders, have the power to step up and put an end to the violence now by holding others accountable and, in turn, creating a space where we no longer have to ‘take back the night.’”

Additional information is available on the group's Facebook page for the event. 

community on sexual violence and allow survivors of assault to share their stories.