Songs for Eternity

The J.T. & Margaret Talkington College of Visual & Performing Arts hosted "Songs for Eternity" performed by guest artist Ute Lemper at 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019, at the School of Music. Lemper is a German singer and actress who has a longing for honoring the culture of the Jewish people through a collection of songs that were written in the ghettos and concentration camps.

The J.T. & Margaret Talkington College of Visual & Performing Arts will host a series of exhibits, performances and events throughout the month of March. 

The University Symphony Orchestra, part of the School of Music, will perform "Evening of Passion," a concern featuring works from Mozart, George Gershwin and Rodgers and Hammerstein. The event will take place at 7:30 p.m. March 4 in the Hemmle Recital Hall of the School of Music building, according to a Tech press release.

The School of Art will exhibit “René West: City Walls” from March 20 - April 14 in the SRO Photo Gallery, located in the School of Art building. The exhibit features West's photographs of street posters and their erosion over time.

The School of Art will also host Kevin Chua's “Assembling Animal Communication” beginning on March 22 in the Landmark Gallery, located in the School of Art Building. Chua, an associate professor of 18th and 19th century European and Southeast Asian art history, explores animal communication in a post-human way in his exhibit, according to the press release.

The exhibit coincides with the Animal/Language” interdisciplinary conference. A reception will be hosted at 6:30 p.m. on March 22 in the Landmark Gallery, according to the press release. 

The School of Music's Lubbock Chorale will host its annual banquet featuring dinner and performances from Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “South Pacific," on at 6:30 p.m. on March 23 in the McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center. Tickets are available through Select-A-Seat locations and online, with all proceeds going to scholarships for students in the School of Music.