CASP Ribbon Cutting

CASP opened Studio H at 5 p.m. on Friday, May 3, 2019 near 5th and J CASP Studios. CASP is a nonprofit organization that is active in the First Friday Art Trail every month and serves the Lubbock Arts District to develop and sustain the local art community.

Local artists will now have more places to utililize as four new studio spaces opened at the CASP Work Studios in downtown Lubbock on Friday evening.

Chad Plunket, the director of the Charles Adams Studio Project (CASP), said the organization broke ground at the site back in January, and now the studio is complete. 

“The mission of the Charles Adams Studio Project, simply put, is to provide studio space for working artists,” he said. “A safe place for artists to come, make their work, engage with the public in First Fridays and other things in between the month.” 

The artists who desired to use these spaces had to apply for the studio spots, Pluket said. 

“It was a competitive application,” he said. “It’s a one year lease, and it’s just a place for them to work.” 

For the duration of their lease, artists must participate in the local art scene and be actively engaged in whatever medium they use, he said.

“They have to remain active on the First Friday Art Trail and just be active artists in the community,” he said. 

According to Plunket’s press release, the four studios all contain different types of artists. 

In Studio E, Rachel Anderson, an assistant professor in apparel design and manufacturing at Tech and Valerie Hlavaty, an instructor of retail and hospitality management, will be focusing their work to reflect cotton. They also own the Homestead Cotton Company of Lubbock. 

In Studio F, Ashley Saed, the owner of Living Tree Designs Photo, will be practicing photography. 

Joey Martinez, a prolific local muralist, will be practicing in Studio G. 

In Studio H, four artists will practice on various mediums. Carolina Arellanos, the senior specialist of exhibits at the Museum of Texas Tech University will be painting and photographing.

Sean Scully, the senior library associate for the library makerspace at Tech will be doing metalsmith work. Scott Hensler, assistant director for Landmark Arts, exhibition and speaker programs at the Tech School of Art will be featured.

Victoria Shields, the woodshop technician and supervisor at the School of Art will be working as a printmaker, sculptor and wax worker for independent roughcasters. 

“We just believed that when you hub artists together, there’s just an energy that’s created through these creative forces. Talk to each other, work next to each other and so we’re excited to see what happens,” Plunket said. 

Charles Adams, the founder of CASP, said it was time Lubbock expanded the arts district. 

“So many art centers are full of performance and visual arts showing." he said, "and we really wanted to bring a bunch of various artists directly into the middle of the art scene."

Adams drew inspiration from a publicly owned art studio in New York where he used to live, he said. 

“I lived in New York for a long time, and there was a place there called West Beth, and it was right on the Hudson River, and it belonged to the city of New York,” he said. 

The CASP studios mimic these New York spaces in a similar way, Adams said. 

“They gave studios out to artists for next to nothing, and it was by size depending on their craft,” he said. 

Eight of the work studios have been completed, and Adams said he plans to build a total of 20 studios. The cost for each workspace is $83,000. 

A big fundraiser to accomplish the goal of four more new spaces, called the Blue Party, will be hosted this month, he said.

Cheryl Shubert, one of the donors to the work studios, said the studios act as an anchor for the First Friday Art Trail. 

“Even the winery will have music, they’ll have art there,” she said. “And if you don’t want to walk, you can just get on a bus.” 

The First Friday Art Trail attracts both a younger college crowd as well as older people in the Lubbock community, she said.

“What’s really unique here, from other cities that we’ve been to art trails in, is also the community of artists that work here,” Shubert said. “The studios provide the interesting aspect that you find (at) First Friday, can roam around, meet artists, see them where they’re working.”