Years ago, a man unknowledgeable about the Islamic culture and religion told Abdul Hamood, if one looked at the Quran, they would be unable to find the word love.

Hamood disagreed.

For the third year in a row, the Texas Tech Muslim Student Association hosted events for the campus-wide Islamic Awareness Week to educate students about Islamic religion and culture.

Hamood, a professor of microbiology, was the guest speaker in place of his wife, Jane Hamood, at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Student Union Building Escondido Theatre.

“With a man and woman,” Hamood said, “(God) created from you, the same soul that he created you, he created another, which is your mate, but he made between you love, compassionate and mercy.”

Hamood, originally from Iraq, discussed not only the similarities and differences between the Quran and the Bible, through references to prophets, but also the U.S. and Islamic culture.

“A very critical issue is there is an Islam, and there is faith, and then they are people who call themselves Muslim,” he said. “Now, what people do, is they incorporate their custom, and they put a label of Islam on them and they will say, ‘Oh that’s the way Islam is.’ No, it isn’t.”

Hamood also addressed common misconceptions about Islamic culture regarding polygamy, arranged marriage and divorce.

“The concept (of arranged marriage) is the couple has to be agreeable with each other,” Hamood said. “He has to be in full agreement that he really, sincerely wants, not to satisfy his father or his family, deep inside he wants to live with this woman, she also has to want deep inside.”

Hamood emphasized the cultural importance of a stable family. Even though divorce and remarriage is not prohibited in Islam, Hamood said it should be seen as a last resort to a dead-end marriage.

“The happiest of time for man, is when he sees his wife carry a child,” Hamood said. “The happiest time for a woman is when she sees her son with his father.”

Mohammad Abderrahman, a senior political science major, is the president of the Muslim Student Association and arranged events open to all Tech students for the awareness week.

“He didn’t talk about marriage necessarily, but he talked about just everything going all around,” Abderrahman, originally from Jordan, said. “I thought that was very interesting, his answers were extremely amazing, I didn’t expect him to answer that beautiful, but he did.”

Abderrahman said he believes the religious similarities far outweigh the differences because of the shared beliefs in the Old Testament.

“Most of the stuff we talk about or believe, it all derives from the same principles and everything like that,” Abderraham said. “So, whenever we talk about something, whenever we have a topic that’s being debated, we can all relate at the very core of the beliefs, and then after that it branches off into whatever each sect believes.”

Mohamed Shogar, a junior business major from Houston, said his Muslim beliefs were strengthened from Hamood because information about love in Islam is limited in today’s society.

“It’s a really interesting topic,” Shogar said. “You don’t hear a lot about love in Islam, and it’s good to know about it.”