Women Studies Program hosts collection drive for women, children in need - The Daily Toreador: Lavida

Women Studies Program hosts collection drive for women, children in need

Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:06 am

Texas Tech’s Women Studies Program has been a part of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence since Fall 2008 to help raise awareness for sexual assault and violence brought upon women and children.

The coalition brings attention to the national Week Without Violence, and Domestic Violence Awareness Month, which lasts throughout November.

Tricia Earl, the instructor for Tech’s Women Studies Program, is the staff position adviser for this month’s collection drive and the creator of co-curricular events for the program. The program examines the cultural and social construction of gender and studies the influences of gender on the lives of women and men.

“We’re looking to expand this collection drive to be further in the spring,” Earl said. “What I’ve noticed this year is that the residents at the Women’s Protective Services need various items at different times of the year. We’ve already had multiple items donated.”

Items such as coats, blankets, pillows, towels and basic toiletry items top the program’s wishlist this year, Earl said. Dozens of items have been donated so far. Even though student donations are limited because of location difficulties and time constraints, many students and individuals throughout Tech are glad to participate in such a helpful cause.

Motola Peters, a freshman, said she thinks the donation is a good way to help out.

“It’s good that this is happening and that people can help those less fortunate find their way,” she said.

At the end of the month, all items donated will be transported to Women’s Protective Services of Lubbock Inc., where they will be distributed to women and children in need of good care and shelter through the winter, Earl said. With this drive, Earl and her team hope to bring attention to the need WPS has throughout the year and to bring attention to the services the company offers to anyone who needs help.

“You end up saying, ‘Here’s the need,’ but also, ‘Here’s what they can provide,’ so it’s an awareness of both aspects,” she said. “You can tell that everyone that participates wants to help the cause.”

Every year, Earl said the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence partners with local government to help raise awareness and give those in need a chance to survive and overcome their struggles. Students throughout campus are more than happy to help in any way they can, she said, knowing that it’s for a good cause and that every little bit helps.

The drive continues until Nov. 30. Donations can be sent to Doak Hall in Rm. 125.

Featured Events

ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts