Online dating website launches at Texas Tech - The Daily Toreador: Lavida

Online dating website launches at Texas Tech

Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:44 pm | Updated: 1:01 am, Fri Aug 26, 2011.

DateMySchool.com, a college online dating website, has made its way to the Texas Tech campus.

The website was created by two Columbia University students, Balazs Alexa and Jean Meyer.

According to Melanie Wallner, director of public relations, the idea occurred to one of the co-creators when he went on a date and his date mentioned that it was hard for her to meet men in her department because most of the students were females.

He came home from the date and Alexa and Meyer created a student online dating website together called DateMySchool.com, she said.

Wallner said within a week 1,300 Columbia students were registered on the site.

“DateMySchool connects academically-driven, time-constrained students from the same school or different schools within the same geographic area.”

Just as how Facebook started, people who wish to join the site must have a university email address to register. From there they can personalize their profile, limit who can see their profile, and immediately start talking to people.

Wallner added that DateMySchool.com isn’t just for getting romantically linked with someone.

“The beauty of DateMySchool.com is it doesn’t have to be specifically for romantic interests. It’s a great tool to meet study partners or even work contacts,” she said.

DateMySchool.com is safe, she said. Unlike other dating websites, users of DateMySchool.com are not searchable on Google.

“On other dating sites, folks can spend weeks messaging each other back and forth just to ensure the other person isn't a creepy weirdo or serial killer,” she said. “But DateMySchool.com has people on your campus or a campus nearby.”

Shreshth Dugar, director of marketing, said the site distances itself from other online dating sites, like Match.com, by requiring an active university email address to register and by being free.

Unlike Google+ or Facebook, which are networks for people you know, and Match.com, for people you don't know and you don't trust,” he said. “DateMySchool.com is a platform that allows you to attract people you don’t know but people you trust because they went to the same school as you, and they pay the same tuition as you.”

Tech was one of the 350 schoolseadded to the site this August.

We wouldn't be taking ourselves seriously without opening to Tech,” Wallner said.

Featured Events

ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts