“We are here, and we are queer, and we are proud,” became the catchphrase of the Second Annual Drag Show hosted by the Residence Halls Association and the Texas Tech University Gay-Straight Alliance.

Although West Texas typically is not synonymous with drag culture, an abundance of amateur and professional drag queens were present at the event.

All the proceeds raised at the event benefitted the Lubbock chapter of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays to create scholarships for lesbian and gay students.

“A lot of the gay kids that get kicked out by their parents have to pay for college themselves,” said Emily Barrera, a sophomore math major from San Antonio.

Barrera, an openly lesbian woman, said the process of coming out in West Texas is not as awful as it is made out to be.

“I thought it was going to be a lot worse,” she said. “Campus is really not bad at all. I think society is really progressing, too. It really showed tonight with all the straight people here, especially in West Texas.”

The safe, judgment-free environment created by the RHA and GSA is something GSA president Stuart Williams, a junior history major from Lubbock, is particularly proud of.

“I feel like it’s necessary,” said Williams, also known by his drag name “Mis Starla.” “Especially since Lubbock is not the most accepting of places. I grew up here; I know. I think for the most part, the Gay-Straight Alliance here is positively received.”

Williams, an openly gay student, said he is proudest of the work the GSA does with the drag show.

“We do a lot of good things, but I think this is the most important thing that we do,” he said. “People see (the drag show) as a necessary and awesome thing.”

Though the majority of people represented in the show either fell on one side or the other of the gay-straight dividing line, some students, like Erica Lang, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major from Arlington, were a little more indistinct

“I’m pansexual. Pretty much, we’re gender-blind. We don’t really care about the gender, we just love them for who they are on the inside,” she said.  “A lot of people mistake us for bisexuals, like we’re guys and girls, but we pretty much don’t care if you’re hermaphrodite, transgender, male, female — we will love you for who you are, not your gender. “

Because Lang’s sexuality is not exactly mainstream, she said the coming out process was particularly hard on her parents.

“My mom originally wanted to kick me out, but my dad was like, ‘No. If you really love your daughter, you won’t care what her sexuality is,’” she said. “It hurt, it really did. But honestly, it’s who I am. I mean, if they hate me, then they hate me. If they love me, then that’s awesome.”

Even if Lubbock is considered to be one of the most conservative cities in the U.S., according to a study released by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research, students who attended the drag show say the event is helping to broaden the tunnel vision of some Lubbockites. After all, the students on campus who openly practice alternative lifestyles are, as Mis Starla said, here, queer and proud.

Wow... I'm speechless. It's only been a year since I left, and now I'm certainly glad I left. Drag queens? Scholarship for homosexuals? Funding for these scholarships obtained by dancing on tables for one-dollar bills thrown by adolescent college kids? I'm ashamed to say I went to Tech and was once involved with the RHA.

Excellent! What a great way to raise money for people that need it. I support higher education and access to education. I'm very proud that the fine folks at Texas Tech are truly embracing what it means to be a university and all that is entailed with that distinction. It is great TTU is a place of tremendous pride (and, all of us should be proud of Tech) and a place that welcomes all types of people from different cultures, societies, religions, colors, and sexualities to contribute to the community and to take pride in what we've got going. That is what, in fact, creates a quality learning environment. Even if you don't agree with everyone, you don't have to. You just have to respect and learn and grow. Welcome to college and being an adult! Tech really is stepping up and raising itself to the next level in so many ways! GUNS UP!! and WRECK EM TECH!

Don't worry, we are glad you left too Doulos. What part of a scholarship is bad? Why wouldn't you want anyone to go to school? I mean, they have scholarships if you're left handed, if you have more than 3 animals, and if you have a tattoo. Why not have one for homosexuals? We have drag shows every weekend and it is the exact same format as it was for the fundraiser, which obviously revenues a ton of cash. And why does it matter how we get the money? It’s okay to have frat parties that provide alcohol by the gallons to under-aged drinkers? And, it's okay for girls to dress in bikinis or barely any clothes at all and wash cars? And they probably don’t do a very well job of cleaning but for my drag queens, they kill it.

I feel sorry for someone who is so easily affected by homosexuals and drag queens.

I'm not sure when I said I didn't want someone to go to school...
Unless it's somehow helping to meet a societal career need, it seems equally silly to provide scholarships for having tattoos or pets (but you probably just made those up). Still, it's not my money to disperse. If setting up a scholarship is that flexible, I have some ideas for a scholarship of my own.
It's unfortunate that the only ways you could only think of to raise funds for a scholarship involved drunk minors and bikini car-washers (which, ironically, isn't all that different from the picture above). Is that how you think everyone else raises money for education? I can think of numerous methods that don't involve alcohol or girls compromising themselves for cash.