Tech student works to become Texas country star - The Daily Toreador: Lavida

Tech student works to become Texas country star

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:04 pm | Updated: 10:08 pm, Tue Feb 28, 2012.

He plans to follow in the footsteps of Josh Abbott, Pat Green and Cory Morrow: To go from being a student who graduated from Texas Tech to a Texas country music star.

Tech student Haden Burchard will continue strumming and singing to ensure this path because he believes it is his purpose.

“I know for a fact that this is what I’m here to do,” he said. “When I graduate, I’m going to give it 100 percent and try to be as professional as I can, and hit the road and play as much as I possibly can. It’s a never-ending journey for me.”

Burchard, a senior communication studies major from San Angelo, said he has always loved music and began writing some of his own songs in high school.

His said his passion for music only increased in college.

“Whenever I got to college it was natural,” he said. “I was like, ‘Hey, let’s start a band.’ It’s what I knew I wanted to do when I got here.”

His freshman year, Burchard said, he began singing and playing acoustic music back home and then started playing in the depot district. He said he was then joined by a lead guitarist, and found a drummer and bass guitar player within 45 minutes by posting flyers in Wall/Gates Residence Halls.

Hayden Faram, the bass guitarist for Burchard and a senior advertising major from Dallas, said he joined Burchard the second semester of his freshman year and enjoys playing music and having fun being in the band.

“I like traveling and playing music in different towns and getting to experience different parts of Texas,” he said.

Together, Burchard and his band began rehearsing and playing in a little studio space in the depot.

Burchard said he released his first CD last October entitled “Wrapped Up,” in which he wrote every song. He said he has written countless songs and hundreds of half songs that he blames on his attention deficit disorder.

Writing songs, which he has done nonstop for four years, Burchard said, is a way for him to express his thoughts.

“It really lets me tell the stories in my head and the kind of songs that make people happy,” he said. “I feel like I can’t really say that kind of stuff, but when I put a pen to a piece of paper and have a guitar in my hand playing it, I can turn those stories into reality. It’s cool for me to be able to reflect onto a pen and paper.”

Burchard’s favorite song on his CD is “Song for Everyone,” because he aims to please his audience with his lyrics.

“Literally, my goal whenever we play shows, as a musician, is everyone who is in the bar or venue that night — my goal is to, by the time they leave that night, — that I will have sang a song and my band will have played a song at least touched or got to one person,” he said.

Burchard said one of the reasons he pursues a career in music is to attract women.

“One of my buddies sat down at a piano when we were in, like, ninth grade and this girl he had a crush on went crazy because he could play a piano and sing and I was like, ‘I could do that,’” he said. “So, I learned how to play guitar and sing.”

Burchard said when he plays for girls, all the guys follow them and it makes for a larger crowd.

Burchard and his band have played all across Texas. He said they play in West Texas most frequently. He has played with an abundance of artists including Kyle Park, Bart Crow, Eli Young Band and Josh Abbott. His said his dream is to perform with Pat Green, who he looks up to because of his roots at Tech.

“When I played with Bart Crow on stage, I sang the entire ‘Wear My Ring’ song because his throat was going bad.”  

Burchard said he is a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and plays for fraternity and sorority events as well as Greek Wide. In fact, he said, one of his favorite shows he has played was at his fraternity’s tailgate.

Luke Cotton, a sophomore energy commerce major from League City, is one of Burchard’s fraternity brothers and became an instant fan after listening to him play at their tailgates and other events. Now, Cotton said, he attends every show he can.

“The music really caught on to me,” he said. “Pretty much everywhere I go I throw his music on and everyone loves it and I tell everyone to check it out on iTunes.”

Burchard’s next show in Lubbock is scheduled for April 14 at the Relay for Life.

As he continues to perform and excel in the music industry, Burchard receives heartfelt support from Cotton, who said he would remain one of Burchard’s biggest fans.

“I really hope it works out for him and he blows up,” Cotton said, “because he definitely has the potential to be the next Josh Abbott or Pat Green to come out of Tech.”

Featured Events

ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts