• September 4, 2015

Josh Abbott Band releases song about Texas Tech - The Daily Toreador: Lavida

Josh Abbott Band releases song about Texas Tech

Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Multiple country music stars have written songs attributed to their alma maters.

Texas A&M has Granger Smith’s “We Bleed Maroon,” and now Texas Tech students have Josh Abbott Band’s “Victory Bells.”  

Josh Abbott, a Tech alumnus, said he wrote “Victory Bells” on his phone, on his tour bus after feeling the desire to express his love and passion for Tech.

“I wanted to write a song that was more reflective of the college experience,” Abbott said.

The song embodies the college days of a Tech student, Abbott said, from the first day of freshman year, to walking across the stage at graduation.

“That first verse is really about trying to find yourself and figuring out your path when you get to college,” Abbott said, “because it’s a new start, you know you’re not the same person you were in high school, and it’s just a fresh start for everybody.”

The second verse continues with images of studying and seasons changing, while the chorus alludes to excerpts from “The Fight Song” and “Matador Song.”

Abbott said he believes the verses were somewhat vague and told a story of a student going to a university.

Even though the verses were relatable, Abbott said he wanted the chorus to be unique to Tech.

“So when I got to the chorus, I decided I wanted to be very specific (about) Texas Tech,” Abbott said, “so I just decided what are some of my favorite lines, what are some of the most memorable lines from the school songs we sing, and I always remember how everyone at the end always sings, ‘Long live the matadors,’ so that’s why it’s a part of the song.”

After his Twitter followers requested a song about Tech, Abbott said his anticipation was high to debut the song at the Josh Abbott Band Fest on Sept. 22 in Lubbock.

“You know, there was a little anxiety,” Abbott said, “because, again, if you’re going to make the statement like, ‘I’m writing a Tech song,’ and you tell people on Twitter, ‘You know, I just wrote a song for Tech finally,’ people want to hear it.”

Abbott said he felt a sense of relief after playing the song at JAB fest.

“When I hit that first chorus like ‘Fight Raiders fight,’ everybody flipped,” Abbott said, “and it was, like, so cool. It was a really cool feeling.”

Half of the proceeds of the song will go toward the Red Raider Scholarship Fund, Abbott said. Abbott is able to start an endowment at $10,000.

“I’d love to work with the department on who needs it,” Abbott said about the profits of the song, “but I’d love to work with athletes in non-revenue sports.”

Abbott said he hopes the majority of Tech students and alumni still will appreciate the song as a song they can embrace and relate to, even if they are not country fans.

“I just really hope that everyone really appreciates it and feels my passion for this school when I sing this song and through my lyrics,” Abbott said.

Twitter

DT Tweets

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide

Loading…